Saturday, May 28, 2016

A weight loss journey

I have had so many people ask; 'how have you done it? How have you lost the weight? What are you doing that's working for you?' And other similar questions. To be honest, I have lost weight so many times. I have lost hundreds upon hundreds of pounds. I have had many successful diets and weight loss attempts to only regain it all back and then some with each regain. This time however I was armed with two different helps. The first was a complete change in my life. I had to find the point where I was sick and tired of it all. I had to focus and make it a complete life change.

With help #1 I began with counting calories. I used one of those apps you can put on your phone. I was careful to log everything. I also drastically reduced carbs and sugars. I began a rule of nothing over 9 grams of sugar max per serving (and I usually made sure it was well under that.)  I also cut out as much greasy fried foods as possible. Because of both my weight and having severe osteoarthritis with zero cartilage/padding between my knee joints, walking was impossible. My life was so miserable I hated going anywhere. I'd get my boys to go to the store for me as often as possible because I didn't want to have to be one of those fat people on a cart. All the looks I got in public was awful. Children, innocent little children would stare, sometimes even ask why are you so fat. The parent would act embarrassed but really it was either a character they learned from the embarrassed parent or it was honestly an innocent, naive question. Regardless, it was always so painful to have to deal with.

So I'd watch what I ate and I'd walk a few extra steps anywhere I went. When I was at work I'd go a longer path to the restroom or kitchen. Many times I'd have to stop for a break but I'd go as far as I could.  With time and weight loss I could go a bit further each week.

Help #2 - I finally opted to have a sleeve gastrectomy which is a weight loss surgery. There are several different types of weight loss surgeries. Some are more drastic and cause mal-absorption. The  sleeve doesn't create as much of an absorption problem because nothing is re-routed or shortened. The only modification is the stomach has been reduced from a full stomach to a small pouch (the first part of the DS surgery which has one of the most absorption issues).  There are several factors that lead to the decision of me having the surgery but it is the type I had.  With that, I am very limited to how much I can eat. I made this decision so I could continue on my weight loss journey, go further, and fingers crossed, and with a continued work-out regimen, not ever regain any of the weight again.  I lost 90# prior to my surgery (and 87# since) for a total of 177# lost since July 2015 (10 months time).  It is possible!

It is a constant struggle even with the surgery. Successful weight loss requires a person to be prepared mentally. Whether you do it with or with out a surgery, your chance for success is minimized if your mind isn't prepared. You need a tool that works for you, whether you count calories, workout more than the calories you consume, reduce/remove all bad fats, carbs, sugars, etc., you MUST be prepared mentally. I can't stress that enough!

I hear so many people say I inspire and motivate. I have heard many say they wish they could do it. Each person can but again it takes the mind change and mind set. Don't discourage yourself because you're not ready yet. Keep pushing toward being ready. Keep telling yourself that you are worth it! Envision it. Begin to see yourself working on you, on your journey. My hope for you as you read this is that you will start to envision what your journey will look like. You'll need to continue to work on the pains that have oppressed you and begin working on seeing how you are worth it, how your journey will begin and how it will unfold. You can do it. You are worth it!

Much love and peace to all.

Kat

1 comment:

Julie said...

You are so right Kat!!! One must definitely be mentally prepared for it to work and not go backwards. I know I would have never gotten this far with weight loss without a mind change.